🙌 About Kron
Kron is an ambitious fin-tech company with global ambitions and on a mission to make investments available for everyone. We're building an in-house data science and analytics team, and we're looking for our first data engineer to help bootstrap this team.
We started Kron in 2017 to show that investing in funds can be both simple and engaging.
With the speed of a startup and the experience from 20 years of investing we offer world-class, automated investment advice to the lowest fee possible. Kron makes investments that have previously only been available to the professionals or rich, available to everyone. We now have over 80 000 engaged users in Kron and welcome thousands of new people every week.
Investing is one of the most important things we do in life. Still, most Norwegians invest their money in their savings account, where they stand still. Because of this, hundreds of thousands of Norwegians are missing out on the possibility of fantastic growth. We believe that a simplified language and great user experiences can break down the barriers and invite more people in to do their first investments. We want to be the door opener to those that think investments are scary or only for those with a master's in finance.
We call it investments for everyone.
We are today a team of 30 and we're growing fast. In Kron, engineers, product designers, economists, and investment experts work closely together to create something that truly engages and a unique working environment. We value diversity and work hard towards building a company where everyone is contributing through different experiences to create a fantastic place to work.
🤙 About you
We are looking for someone who wants to take part in an exciting journey in a company that has a strong focus on world-class products using its own technology. You love finding pragmatic solutions to complex problems. Our technology team is still small, which gives individuals great influence and autonomy.
The size of the team also means that we love generalists. In practice, this means that you may thrive particularly well in one or two technologies, but you are not afraid to work on other things. For example, you have expertise in SQL and infrastructure, but you are also comfortable writing Python code. Here, there is no correct background, but rather a common feature is a curiosity for technologies and a willingness to learn.
Some other properties which you find familiar:
- You’re hungry to learn about new technologies and always want to find the right tool for the job, even if that’s stepping into the unknown.
- You demonstrate best practices in your code and uphold them in your code reviews.
- You like to mentor and share your knowledge.
- You have an adventurous mind, but you're pragmatic and able to translate ideas into something impactful and achievable.
- You've experience in cloud-technologies and have in-depth experience in system administration.
- You're comfortable managing your own work, working in small focused teams, and owning ideas from conception to execution.
- You want to contribute in building a team of bar raisers. You'll be on of the first employees within your skillset, and are expected to contribute in recruitment and culture-building.
- Fluent in English. You know, or would like to learn Norwegian.
🕵️♀️ About the role
We're seeing a critical need to build a small, but strong team of data engineers, to set the foundation of a larger in-house analytical division of Kron in the future.
As Principal Data Engineer you will take full ownership of our current analytics pipeline and tech stack. You will be expected to contribute both strategically (what should we build long term, who should we recruit, technology choices, roadmap) and operationally (configure infrastructure, make changes to the data pipeline, architecture our foundational data topology, writing SQL and more).
This is a technical leadership role, and there's no expectation that you'll have direct reports/people management.
You'll work closely with the CTO (Herman Schistad) and report directly to him.
👾 Our Tech stack
- Current data pipeline and stack
- PostgreSQL master database
- dbt for analytics (running on Nomad), outputting to PostgreSQL
- Metabase for dashboards and data exploration
- Additionally, we use Mixpanel and Google Analytics for user events
- Backend application: Python, FastAPI & Pydantic
- Frontend: React, Typescript, and React Native
- Nomad and Consul
- PostgreSQL + SQLAlchemy
- Docker & Linux
- Monitoring & Internal tooling
- Datadog & Sentry
It's expected that the applicants for this role has solid experience in SQL, and familiarity in ELT/ETL tools. Further, it's a huge plus if you have experience in infrastructure configuration, cloud infrastructure, and related tooling.
Generally, our application process looks like the following:
- Application: You apply by sending your CV and a cover letter describing why you want to work at Kron.
- First interview: You're invited in for a ~30-minute interview where we talk about your motivation, you're able to ask any questions you might have and we uncover whether it's a good match.
- Technical assessment: In order to reduce biases and have objective criteria when assessing candidates we ask that you complete a technical assessment. It's a mix of multiple-choice questions, small coding challenges, and a larger coding project. You should spend no more than 3 hours on the assessment itself.
- Technical interview: Everyone who completes the technical assessment is invited in for a technical interview. Here, we discuss your answers and go more in-depth into your technical background.
- Final interview: In the final interview you'll typically meet someone like Emma (CEO) or Ole Martin (CPO). The interview typically lasts for 30 minutes.
- Offer: Herman (CTO) will reach out with an offer and we discuss practicalities around the start date etc.
What we offer
- You'll be part of Storebrand employee benefits: A great pension agreement, fantastic insurance policies, and the great discounts on your mortage. We care about your health, and cover you with a private health insurance.
- A nice office at Lysaker (with training facilites, basket and football court, warm lunch and more) – with the opportunity to work from home.
- We cover your laptop, phone, and phone subscription.
- Reduced investment prices in Kron for you, your parents, siblings, spouse, and children
Questions? Curious about the job?
We would love to get to know you and tell you more about Kron and our opportunities. If you just find some of this job posting interesting and would like an informal chat, then reach out and we can setup either a meeting or a video chat together:
Herman (CTO): firstname.lastname@example.org (+47 97739712)Apply now